Little Sahara, OK
Sand Fest at Little Sahara
Name: Little Sahara State Park, Oklahoma
Four miles south of Waynoka, Oklahoma.
1,450 acres of rideable sand
The dunes were created over 11,000 years ago from terrace
deposits and well-sorted quartz left by the Cimarron River when it flowed
across this area during the Pleistocene Age. This makes for extremely fine
Four miles south of Waynoka on Highway 281
212 campsites in three campgrounds:
Golden Sands (south) - 50 with hookups
Buttercup (north) - 20 with hookups
Cowboy (north) - 20 with hookups
First Come, First Serve RV Campsites W/ Electrical Hook Ups
(30 amps) $20.00 per day
RV Campsites W/ 50 amp Electrical Hook Ups $20.00 per day
Tent Sites $ 12.00 per day
All campgrounds have hot showers (pay).
- All vehicles must have a WHIP attached to the ORV that
extends 10 feet from the ground to the top of the whip.
- All vehicles must have a 6"x12" FLAG attached
within 10" of the whip's tip that is bright orange
in color only with no writing on the flag.
- All vehicles must have Lights, front and rear, for night
- Dune buggies and 4x4 vehicles must have a ROLL BAR
sufficient to support the weight of vehicle and must have a seat belt for
- Riding double no longer allowed unless the vehicle was specifically
designed by the manufacturer for a passenger.
- Riders under 18 must wear a
- Reckless operation of off-road vehicles, such as
"wheelies" or "power slides', is prohibited in the campground
- You must stay within park boundaries.
- Full coverage HELMETS are strongly suggested, and of
course riding is at your own risk.
- Your are required to stay within the posted SPEED LIMITof 15 MPH. ORVs
should use low gears only.
- No speeding, wheelies, or reckless operation of any vehicle in the camp
grounds. Speed limit 15 MPH.
- Transporting open containers of beer in any motor driven vehicle is
prohibited. This includes three-wheelers, four-wheelers and dune buggies in
the camp ground.
- No person under the age of 21 may drink or possess alcoholic beverages.
- All pets must remain on a chain or leash not to exceed 10 ft. in length.
- Fires in the dune area are strictly prohibited. Fires in the camping area
are approved in the grills only.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the dune area.
- All alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the dune area.
- All roads in the campground are open to vehicle traffic but the use of the
campgrounds for the children to ride. ORVs is dangerous and of concern to
everyone. The children are hard to see from a vehicle, and the dust stirred
up bothers other park visitors. Parents are asked to limit their children's
riding only to and from the bath house and the dune area, unless they are
accompanied by an adult.
- Wading pools, swimming pools or similar water collecting devises are
prohibited due to the over demand placed on our park water pumps while
filling such containers.
The Sahara Snake Hunt
Weekend is without a doubt, the biggest weekend at the park. You will need to
arrive early in the week to get a decent spot.
event is held each year on the first weekend following Easter. It begins on
Saturday with a free ham and bean feed at the Saddle Club Building, downtown
Waynoka. The downtown square is blocked off and a carnival is set up with
vendors of every kind. The event ends with a very bizarre ceremony where the
snakes are measured and weighed. A prize is given for the longest snake
captured (alive), the most pounds caught, and for the most buttons on the end
of a rattler. The final event is an auction in which the longer snakes are
auctioned off to the highest bidder.
began in the 40s as a gathering of area ranchers who banded together for the
purpose of thinning out a critter they saw as a threat to their cattle, the
Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Over the years it became a ritual and a club
was formed to organize the event into a festival that they hoped would
draw thousands of visitors in an effort to boost the local economy. It worked
and that club today is known as the Waynoka Saddle Club.
Oklahoma Rattlesnake Hunt - Info & Pictures
Hunt - Little Sahara Oklahoma
Snake Hunt Weekend
Annual Midwest Sand Fest at
Little Sahara in September, brings sand drag racers from all over America to
the Golden Sands of Waynoka.
Other Photos (click to enlarge):
Services at Little Sahara and in Waynoka:
- Advantage Property
Rentals - Vacation & Seasonal Rentals
- B&S Buggy Shop - accessible from the park
- Little Sahara Power Sports
- Little Sahara Sand Sports (used to be the Oasis) - adjacent to park
- Heel Clicker Cafe - adjacent to park
- Jim's Sand Toys
- Oklahoma Motorcycle Supply
- Stewarts Buggy & ATV
Back to Sand Dune Guide